“Everyone struggles with snatches, right? And chest-to-bar pull ups? Cool, yes, let’s put those in the Open and then add a ton of weight to the snatches and make them do both really quickly. It’ll be horrible.” – Dave Castro, probably
The Open has this cute way of humbling you. Think you’ve got a full snatch? Try doing 15 of them at your max weight in under 8 minutes. Snatches are one of those movements that have the keen ability to highlight your immobility and pinpoint your weakness. That one movement alone in any WOD is tough, not to mention tossing in chest-to-bars.
And yet, we saw member after member make those squat snatches sit down, shut up, and take names.
Here’s the highlight reel:
- This is Luke Voss’ first Open, and he threw those snatches overhead like they were nothing. He almost finished the round of 115# despite the clock accidentally being stopped before he was done. You’re our champion, Luke.
- One of Drew Darby’s friends, Carolina, joined us for her first Open workout. She didn’t have a lot of experience with the squat snatch, but after about 10 minutes of practicing, she jumped into the workout and ended up adding way more weight than she thought she was capable of. Boom. CrossFit.
- Bossmom Cara Griswold got to the round of 95lb scaled. She PR’d on Wednesday at 85# for the first time, and then after all the other previous work, she gave 95# a run for it’s money.
- Likewise, fellow Bossmom Athena Newell did the workout RX and got to the 95# as well. She came into it with the goal to get at least 1 rep at 95# and walked away casually from 17.3 with 3 reps at 95#.
- Shannon Frawley, who kind of has an irrational fear of anything overhead, cranked through the scaled version and almost finished the round at 75#!
- Becca Harris, otherwise known as DJ LaRae, basically muscle snatched a rep at 95#.
- And if you missed it, Hroch emceed the evening. And I think at one point he even danced.
Below is the Renew leaderboard. We want to be sure of two things here: 1) That those who are not showcased here don’t feel their effort is any less valued, or important. You guys are putting in some hard work this Open, and it doesn’t go unnoticed. We want you to feel motivated, encouraged, and supported. 2) That those who are showcased here feel proud of their accomplishments and humbled to be among such hardworking men and women. Also, don’t let it go to your head. Remember: you’ll never be as cool as the Dottirs.
Top 5 women at Renew:
Top 5 dudes at Renew:
There you have it. Now, rest and recover — 17.4 is right around the corner. We’re over halfway done, y’all. Stay strong!